Wednesday, December 3, 2008

It's December, really?

I know the calendar says it’s December, but I don’t believe it. To me, I still think it is late August. Why? Because the weather here is still like it was when I left the states in early August.

Hot.

One of the things about being raised in West Virginia is living in a climate that has all four seasons. Therefore, the weather always told me what time of year it was. Hot weather meant June-August, while freezing my butt off said it was December-March. Of course, the trees would tell me when Fall had come. This year there was no Fall. So, it really didn’t dawn on me what time of the year it was until my mom emailed me a couple weeks back to say they had two inches of snow. Meanwhile, while I was reading the email, I was sweating through my shirt. Something was wrong with the whole thing from my perspective.

But that’s the way things are here. Different. (Note: actual details may not be factual due to the whole language barrier thing) There are two main seasons – rainy and dry. Right now, the rainy season is finishing up, as it last from April through mid December. Soon the sun will be out always and eventually there won’t be a cloud in the sky during late January into February. I have been told it gets really, really hot during this time. This should be interesting, because right now I think it’s really, really hot.

It is that hot weather that makes it impossible for me to believe it is December and Christmas is just around the corner. I know the calendar says it, but I’m not buying it. Christmas has always been cold weather and snow. Not heat and sweat.

That’s why this year I’m leaving my stocking in the closet and will opt instead for sunscreen and a beach towel. However, I will still accept gifts; just don’t expect one from down here.

You know, I guess, I always was the selfish one.

No comments: