Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Turkey Day

Ah, Thanksgiving. One of my favorite holidays. Turkey. Mashed Potatoes. Gravy. Green Beans. Pumpkin Pie. Family. Football. Booze. Cold Weather. Lounging. In many ways it is the American holiday. You lie around watch football and stuff yourself full of food while hanging out with family. Does it get any better than that?

Of course not, but this year, I’ll be putting a twist of the holiday. Turkey becomes Chicken. Football becomes Panamanian soup operas and the cold weather becomes warm weather. I welcome one of the three changes; I’ll let you guess which one.

And so, this year I’ll be celebrating Thanksgiving not with family, but many of the cast of characters that I spent election night with earlier this month.

The plan is for everybody to arrive around noon in Santiago. From there, we will go shopping (you don’t have to be worried about stores being closed in Panama on Thanksgiving. Point - Panama) for our food. From there, we will go to the house of one of the volunteers that lives in Santiago to make the food. I’m sure that cooking everything will run longer than expected and dinner will be a little late (a Sacchetti family tradition!). I’m sure much wine will be purchased and the group will hang out drink it and talk about out new lives and be thankful for what we have. And, I’m sure that it will be a great time.

Come to think of it, the day won’t be all that much different from my day in the States, but at the same time, it’ll be nothing alike.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

MATTEO!..HAPPY THANKSGIVING.
YOU MAY BE IN PANAMA, BUT YOU ARE HERE IN SPIRIT ...POPPA

Anonymous said...

oh you were missed, but the dylan shrine was priceless-
johnna

Anonymous said...

WVU lost a sad one. Send my an email raigard@yahoo.com
Rai Babe

Anonymous said...

Dylan...I am currently watching Duke vs. Purdue...but I dont think you care...matter of fact, im not sure you miss anything in the United States...Im awaitin the Christmas blog that will read that "Christmas in warm weather is better and life goes on..."

ugh---Chris