Sunday, December 21, 2008

All I Want For Christmas

I remember as a kid, each year, my sisters and I would make lists of things that we would want for Christmas. The excitement in writing those lists was nearly as great as Christmas morning. There was a certain joy in comparing lists and racking your brain in trying to complete your list. It’s like the child’s version of coming up with a political bill. You get to think through the parts of the list. You seek input from friends. After the list is drafted, you go around and make your case to parties involved in the process. Ultimately, though, the final say is out of your hands. You just have to wait and see if the items in the list pass. Sometimes there’s joy. Sometimes there’s disappointment.

As I’ve gotten older, I really don’t write down my Christmas wish lists anymore. I would usually keep little mental notes and when asked I would jog my memory and tell Santa my family. This year, though, my wish list is pretty empty. My Mom keeps asking me in emails if I need anything, and since my first care package was sent, my answer has been nope. I have all the material things I need down here. More importantly, I have all the things in my life that make it great- a great family, great friends, a great new community, a great host family, a great opportunity to do some work that can really improve the lives of people. I can’t ask for much more.

Of course, I wouldn’t be completely truthful if I said I didn’t want anything for Christmas. My sisters are sending me some books and I’m sure my parents will come up with something interesting. Naturally, it would nice if that goofy thing that CNN introduced on Election Night, where someone is beamed into a location from somewhere else, were available it would be nice to be there for Christmas Dinner. However, since that’s not possible, the one thing I want for Christmas is to see the Celtics-Lakers Christmas Day game.

Having caught only brief moments of basketball this year, I can’t miss this showdown of the rematch of last years NBA Finals. That’s why, just like I was 12 again, I’ve already got my plan laid out on how to watch the game. I’ve got my lines already rehearsed in Spanish to get the game on the television. Now I just have to wait and see.

Hopefully, this wish ends in joy. Feliz Navidad.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I will never forget the Christmas you wanted the Michael Jordon tennis shoes. The ones that made kids jump higher and run faster and were $100.00. Back then,that was a lot of money. Your Mom was thumbs down regarding the request and your Dad was thumbs up. When ask my opinion, I voted yes. You got the shoes although I never knew if they were everything you had dreamed they would be. We will really miss you this Christmas Dylan. Hope you get to see your game. Love you, Rai

Anonymous said...

I have to dissagree with Rai. There is no way you asked for Jordan's. My guess is you wanted the LB's (not Lebrons, but Larry Birds). Perhaps it was the "pumps". I recall you telling me that you were playing with a handicap (lack of sleep). After the initial guess, "why's that, the kids wake u up at 6am?", you replied "no, i was up all night pumping up my pumps." I believe I beat you 21-0 that game!!! haha, jk but I really never recall you wanting anything with a MJ or 23 on it!
Cheers!

Chris

Anonymous said...

Ok. Maybe Chris is right. They were the shoes that you pumped up. I am not totally sure about the name brand. I am sure that they made you run faster and jump higher and were big bucks. It was the on going discussion/debate of parents at the time. I bet Chris had the same shoes. Take care, Rai