Wednesday, September 2, 2009

The Missing

This coming Saturday is one of my favorite days of the year and for the second straight time, I will be missing it. What is it? Well, of course, it is the Hampshire Heritage Day in Romney, West Virginia.

I’m joking, of course. This Saturday is the first WVU home football game. And that means I will miss not only the game, but the tailgating.

That first tailgate is always is great fun. The weather is warm. You see family and friends likely for the first time in a while. The refreshments are plentiful and cold, while the food is overflowing. There is a feeling of optimism in the air. Well, until you remember that Bill Stewart is the coach.

Over the past couple years, I had developed a pretty solid tailgating route. I would start out at the house of my friend Michael. He always had a top notch tailgate. Do this math problem to figure out why. Family beverage distributor (lots of beer) + Family Italian Bakery (lots of food) + Great friends = Great times!

From there I would meander up the dreaded Law School Hill to where I would alternate between a family tailgate and friends tailgate. And the good times would continue from there. More food. More cold beverages. More good conversation.

So that’s what sucks about missing Saturday- a festive day with great people.

Drink one for me.

3 comments:

JR Crosby said...

You are not the only one saddened not to be in Morgantown for opening day. I went back and forth for weeks if I was going to buy a ticket home. I couldn't pull the trigger to watch us beat Liberty by 88 points. That is a predication. And yes, unfortunately Bill Stewart is still our coach.

Forest said...

Can I have more than one?

John Sacchetti said...

We will miss you Dylan, but you are always in our thoughts.