Monday, March 16, 2009

Beisbol Part II

As I discussed last week, my late afternoons have been filled with baseball. It has been a lot of fun for a couple different reasons. One, I have gotten to know some people better through the games. Two, I’ve learned a bunch more names! Third, and finally, I’ve gotten to make a fool of myself a few times, which they love.

When I first started playing, because I was of decent size, it was believed that I could hit the ball real far. As I walked to the plate, the little kids would say “Dilan, homerun”. I guess even Panamanian kids love the long ball. However, I could never fulfill the wishes of the kids. Between the t-ball size bat and years of swinging a golf club, my swing was all out of sorts and I could only manage some weak grounds to either third or shortstop. Yes, I realize I am making excuses, because the other players my size have no problem launching rocket shots. I am not very good. I am comfortable with that. On the bright side, though, I have been making steady progress.

While I am not the best, there are some pretty good players in my community. My province, Herrera, has won recently dominated the Panamanian Baseball League. So baseball is in their blood. You can tell, too. Some of the hand eye coordination on a couple of the players leaves me astounded. Whether it is plucking a late errant hop on a groundball or throwing up a bat at the exact time to stop a foul ball, I
feel at times we are playing a different game.


With the talent there, this makes for some pretty good, interesting games. Between the hops and the stiff breeze that usually blows, craziness often ensues. Because the games are so short (3-4 innings), they are usually close which leads to a lot of yelling and arguing. And they really enjoy this. My favorite wrinkle is when you want to make a point one usually finishes it with a “jo” for added emphasis. Needless to say when the game is tight there are a lot more “jo’s” and everybody becomes like Lou Piniella. I usually just sit back and with the madness unfold while wishing I could talk that fast. At least I can do a good “jo”.

All of this is in the spirit of the game so you have a lot of instances where people give each other a hard time. My favorite moment for me was after I couldn’t take an opposite field shot over the right fielder’s head. As I was trotting back to the rest of my team, one observant bystander remarked to me “Dilan, mas fuerza”. Or more strength. I just kinda laughed and nodded my head. He was right. I could use a bit more strength.

But in my defense, I was hitting into a pretty good breeze.

No comments: