Wednesday, July 8, 2009

The Gritar

You may recall, ok, probably not, but back when I wrote about my day in the rice field, I mentioned an activity called 'gritar'. In fact, this is what I wrote:

Another interesting activity is the yelling that occurs about once every half hour. Basically, one person lets out a scream that I don’t even know how to translate it into a typed word. I’m sorry. Come visit me and you can experience it firsthand. After that person lets his ‘grita’ (or scream) out, another person answers that call. And they go back and forth a couple times. Sometimes another person joins in as well. That’s when it really takes off.


Well, now you don’t have to worry about coming to visit me, because a friend of mine put up a video of the activity on YouTube. So, click on this link, and enjoy.

1 comment:

Averill Strasser said...

Dylan:

I am a Returned Peace Corps Volunteer (Bolivia ’66-’68), and founder and COO of Water Charity, at http://watercharity.org, a 501(c)(3) nonprofit that does water, sanitation, and public health projects worldwide.

We have just started a new initiative, Appropriate Projects, to fund small water and sanitation projects very quickly.

You are invited to check out our website at http://appropriateprojects.com, and submit an application.

If you don’t have an appropriate project, could you pass this information on to your fellow-PCVs in Panama?

Averill