Thursday, July 23, 2009

The Bonfire

This past Thursday, my community had a bonfire as a little fundraiser to help fix the small park in the town. To raise the funds, drinks and food were sold. And, of course, there was the bonfire and really, excessively loud music.


The shindig was supposed to get underway at 7pm, and much to my surprise, the majority of people came at 7pm. This is shocking because, in general, Panamanians operate on ‘Panama Time’ which is a way of saying they move to the watch only my dad would love, i.e. always late. After sometime here, I’ve become adjusted this fact, but it doesn’t mean I’m a fan of it. As total darkness fell upon us at 7:30pm, the bonfire was lit and the food and started rolling.

I realized that help was needed in making the hojaldras, so I volunteered my services to help roll out the dough before they were sent to the pan. Here I am in action (note: you can also see the high and tight buzz I got in the back from my haircut):


As the night rolled on, the big activities became singing/dancing and jumping over the bonfire. After dancing to the newer pop music, some of the older folks made a push for more traditional Azuero music. And, yes, there was even some gritaring.


The party started to fizzle out around 10pm, with all the food and drink gone (money raised!). While it wasn’t a Thursday Ladies Night from college, all in all, it was a good time.

2 comments:

Jane said...

Mabuhay!
Good Day. Komusta?(How are you?) Hope you are doing fine. I am Jane, a postcard enthusiast and currently blogging at:

http://enajpostcards.blogspot.com

I've been reading your blog lately.

I am currently working on a project called "Postcard Project 100"The goal is to received stamped and written postcards sent from the country itself. I am planning on presenting it to my history class, and I need your cooperation to make this project possible.
Only one beautiful postcard to have this project grow. Hope you will be able to participate.

Great Hugs and Thank you,
Jane

Unknown said...

Dear Dylan -

I ran across your blog today as I was doing some Google research on PC/Panama. It was fun to read about your life and insights into Panama. I especially enjoyed the Barber Shop entry since the Central American barbering experience is not one that should be missed - I've experienced the same "how do you explain the cut you want" dilemma and then leaving it up to chance. Usually you either get the No. 1 (very short cute with the electric shears with the back squared) or the No. 2 (same as number one, but with back rounded). Either way, take advantage of the cheap haircuts in Panama - I can't find a cut for less than $12 here in DC.

Also, loved the article on your neighbor and the Yankees - welcome to the Dark Side where I grew up!

Hope you continue to get the most out of your service. All is well in DC as I adjust to the new job in HQ and the family gets their feet on the ground.

Keep up the great work.

Peter Redmond
predmond@peacecorps.gov