Wednesday, December 9, 2009

The Dry Season

Well, it’s the end of the rainy season as we know it down here in Panama, and I feel fine. Even if this rainy season, wasn’t that rainy. This, of course, made this rainy season a lot more hot and humid. Now the weather is in the process of changing. Over the next 4 months, I’ll be living in a climate that each day is the same, i.e. hot, sunny, and windy. To prepare myself for this, I’ve come up with a Pros and Cons list of living day to day likes this. Let’s start with the Cons first…

Cons

  • Without any clouds, the sun attacks you with more vengeance than the vendetta fueled killings at the end of The Godfather I and II combined. Sunscreen is a constant companion during these times.
  • Each day I wake up, I feel like Bill Murray’s character in Groundhog Day. Although the dates change, each day feels the same. Sun is out by 6:20am. By 8:30am it gets hot. By 9:30am it gets really hot. By 12:30pm forget about it. By 6:30pm the sun is down and it’s much cooler. Perhaps I can use this time to better myself like Murray’s character and learn jazz piano, ice sculpting and French. Since it’s too hot to do ice sculpting, I doubt I’ll be doing the other two things either. Such a waste, I know.
  • Because it’s dry and windy, dust blows everywhere. This isn’t too much fun for your eyes or trying to keep a clean house.

Pros:

  • With the sun always out, it’s pretty easy to keep a nice tan.
  • Great beach weather. And guess what? I don't live that far from the beach!
  • After being offered up as a sacrifice to the mosquito gods for the past seven months, it'll be nice not having them around for a while.
  • You don’t have to worry about making plans around the weather.
  • The locals will be saying things like ‘bastante sol’ or ‘demasiado sol’ which is fun to hear.
  • Once again, I don’t have to worry about shoveling snow.

And you know what, that reason alone is impossible to top. That’s one thing I don’t miss about home. Keep shoveling that snow.

No comments: