Thursday, November 12, 2009

The Shrimping

A couple weeks ago, I went with my counterpart Sergio to the shrimp tanks just a little outside my community. My counterpart had been tending the tanks for a couple months and now it was time to start harvesting some of the shrimp.

A couple points of note: Because it had been unseasonably dry during the beginning part of the rainy season, the harvesting of the shrimp was pushed back some. Also, to help feed the shrimp, Sergio would busted up a coconut and throw it into the water. This struck me as strange. But then again, quite a few things strike me strange here.

So off we went. Sergio’s brother Carlo went as well. They were there with their nets and I was there to take photos.

As you can see they pull the net over their shoulder. Wait, why am I explaining this? I have video that explains it a lot better than I would ever do it: (Note- I tried to embed the video, but wasn't successful, so you can watch the link here.)

I just hope my dad doesn't see people wadding around in knee deep water and start having ‘Nam flashbacks.

In the end, we (I use this term roughly, because I did throw the net and caught a couple shrimp) caught about 70 pounds of shrimp. For my work, Sergio gave me a few…

…and they were delicious.

No comments: